The BOLD Coalition’s mission is to prevent youth substance use and change societal norms regarding substance use by reducing access, increasing perceptions of risk and harm of substance use, and increasing parental disapproval of youth use. BOLD’s vision is to create a healthy community for the youth of Greater Fall River. Governed by an Advisory Board of 6 members, the BOLD Coalition has representatives from different sectors of the community: youth, parents, business, media, schools, law enforcement, faith and youth serving organizations, civic groups, healthcare professionals and governmental agencies.
The BOLD Coalition welcomes anyone who lives or work in Fall River, Somerset, Swansea and Westport to participate in any of BOLD’s projects. BOLD is a member of Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA), the national organization of drug abuse prevention coalitions.
- Provide and support training and educational events for doctors, other prescribers, social workers and other mental health providers on risks, recognition and treatment options for prescription medication abusers.
- Increase availability of prevention materials through pediatricians, clinics, health centers, area schools and Bristol Community College.
- Create media campaigns and programs presented to parents and grandparents to reduce youth access to alcohol and prescription drugs.
- Support compliance checks for underage sales of alcohol and tobacco in all our communities.
- Participate in “Sticker Shock” campaigns with members of the BOLD youth group in area package stores as a reminder that you need to be 21 or older to purchase alcohol.
- Coordinate Prescription Drug Take Back events for the Greater Fall River Community and work to expand additional options for gathering and disposing of unused prescriptions.
- Continue to facilitate a BOLD Youth group, S.T.E.P. (Students Together Empowering Peers) that engages in prevention education and advocates for healthy life styles. And sponsoring community events like “Together for Tolerance” that promotes self-esteem, while recognizing and supporting diversity.
- Advocate for political action through BOLD and it’s S.T.E.P. youth to make Fall River a safer city, through the drafting and passing of ordinances with city council and mayoral support on such issues as “social host”, standardized beverage server training and limiting tobacco sales in the city .
- Launch media campaigns on the risk and harm of marijuana, alcohol and prescription drugs.
- Advocate for and support a diversion to treatment program, “Reclaiming Futures,” with the Fall River Juvenile Court.
- Support a year round arts program for at risk youth in the community called YEAH! (Youth Experiencing Artistic Hope).
- Host annual meetings, held in the early fall, to bring professionals and experts together to share on topics that effect the community, from Medical Marijuana to Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Sponsor community events including Town Hall meetings.
- Participation in many school-school sponsored health fairs and parent nights has brought BOLD into the “public’s eye”.
- Provides 21 Proof trainings for Fall River alcohol serving/selling establishments. 21 Proof is a responsible beverage server training designed to prevent the sale of alcohol to underage youth and is a requirement for anyone serving/selling alcohol in Fall River. This is a certificate course which requires renewal every three years.
- Networking through social media.