SSTAR offers a number of smoking cessation services that include individual and group counseling. In addition, SSTAR offers tobacco treatment to local businesses who are interested in running a program for their employees.
A smoking cessation group is offered on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 A.M. The group focuses on education about nicotine dependence and provides a forum to learn coping skills to help with quit efforts. Any person at any stage of readiness who wants to look at their smoking behavior and discuss potential for quitting is welcome. The Mass. Bureau of Substance Abuse is supplying free nicotine patches and gum to assist with quit efforts. However, use of this tool is not required. If you’d like to attend this group, visit our Open Access Center at 386 Stanley Street Fall River, MA 02720 between 7:30 AM and 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday, for an intake. Let them know of your interest in smoking cessation.
Individual counseling: Since individual needs vary, you may prefer a one on one approach to helping you quit using tobacco. Individual counseling is a focused educational program that addresses your individual challenges to quitting smoking. Sessions are about an hour once per week and usually last 8 to 10 weeks.
As part of our ongoing continuum of care:
- We do a nicotine dependency assessment for all intakes in our Ambulatory Behavioral Health Clinic and provide free nicotine patches and nicotine gum for any substance abuse clients. A one week supply is given each time the client comes in for treatment.
- The Health Center does a tobacco assessment on all clients who come in for a medical visit and the staff will refer anyone interested in quitting smoking to tobacco treatment or the QuitWorks program.
- Our Intensive Outpatient Program and all relapse resistance groups routinely address tobacco education.
- Our outpatient clinicians incorporate tobacco cessation into treatment, where appropriate.
- We use Motivational Interviewing to increase the readiness for change in tobacco users.